Sunday, February 3, 2008

Notes of a Native Son

I enjoyed this reading. I have never read any of James Baldwins's work but after reading this short story i would not mind reading another one. He uses great details and really makes you understand what is going on at that time. I also like that it is about his own life and his own growing up, I think this makes stories like this much more interesting because they can talk about what actually happened instead of using facts from other people. I think people that write about their own experiences can just go into a lot more detail and depth.

This short story hooked me with the first couple lines," On the twenty-ninth of July,in1943, my father died. On the same day, a few hours later, his last child was born.". This just made me want to keep reading because I wanted to know what that meant. The other interesting thing about this story that I liked was his relationship with his father. Just the way he talks about it makes it intense just to read. Like when he said he did not want to see his father because he wanted to keep the hatred, and how people were so stubborn about hate because they don't want to feel the pain anymore. I like this statement because I think it is very true. It is a lot easier to deal with something you hate or dislike, when it is not around you.

No comments: