Sunday, February 10, 2008

What's Ya Name Girl

I really liked this selection from Maya Angelou. I felt very sorry for her [Mrs. Cullinan] because she obviously has low self-esteem from being overweight and pain due to not being able to have kids. I felt like the only reason she decided to start calling Marguerite Mary is from peer pressure from her wealthy friends. It disturbed me how loyal Miss Glory was to a lady who totally disrespected her name, and how she was encouraging Marguerite to get over the disrespect. I liked how at the end Mrs. C came to her senses when angry and corrected the freckled friend who insisted on renaming Marguerite, Mary.

1 comment:

Chris Seich said...

I agree with what Christy is saying in that its wrong to treat people like that especially when they are so loyal to you. In some cases tho people are only loyal because they have to or to make themselves feel like they have someone in there life.