Thursday, January 24, 2008

Analyzing Texts and Context

At the beginning of this chapter you really see how analyzing plays a role in all professional areas. When I noticed this I immediately thought of high school math classes when every time a student was having a hard time they'd try to make a point with "When are we ever going to need to use this in every day life?" Sooner or later all of this things we are learning will come back to play some type of role in our lives. Analyzing is something everyone does- you analyze someone's mood, different ways to solve a problem and so on. For instance with my elective program (ROTC) I analyze ways to fix tactical problems.
After reading through Aristotle's 3 Appeals, I believe that Pathos has the strongest hold on today's society. Yes, we should be more interested in Logos or factual information but what grabs the attention of people of today are the emotional stories. I would pay more attention to a story that is emotional and what could be fake to get more attention than one that has factual information. Something over exaggerated is much more interesting. Overall this book is helping my identify my writing and it has some really strong points throughout.

No comments: