Thursday, January 24, 2008

Analyzing Texts and Contexts

This was another chapter that was filled with information that I was not aware of. It all starts at the beginning of the chapter under Understanding Your Audience. It talks about understanding your readers values as well as their goals. Like i said before i never took the readers values nor their goals into perspective in any of my writing. i usually just write about what i feel about a subject and don't think about what other people are going to think. This chapter also talks about Understanding How Analysis Works. This part of the chapter really helped me out as far as, how much i really need to analyze a subject before writing about it. Most of the time I just study the subject for maybe a few moments and without really thinking just start writing about it. By reading this i have learned that analyzing is many not just one skill but a group of skills put together, and that you need to take time and actually think about a subject for a moment. I also think i will be a better visual reader now as far as texts. I have learned to again think about what the actual message is in a picture or something of that sort, instead of just flipping by and looking at it and not really thinking about it very much. All together this was another great and helpful chapter for me.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I think I have to agree with you on every point you've made. All of the readings so far have helped me see things that I hadn't before. Glad to see that someone else is getting the same value out of these reading assignments.

Brandon said...

I have to agree with Vickie on that one. I believe everyone has seen things that they didn't see before.