Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Making and Supporting Claim

This chapter helped me see that the more your support your claims, the better the academic argument. I got a better understanding that you can write your paper and still contribute your views, as long as it is brought together in a reasonable fashion. The guidelines that were provided for analyzing your own values and beliefs, I found useful and very helpful. I think when we write, we tend to make it one sided when it really should take on the emotions and beliefs of the reader as well. I know that I find it hard to make sure that I get my point across without getting on a soapbox. Backing up your arguments with facts, can help your reader(s) to better understand your point of view and even help them create their own opinion on whatever the subject may be. The use of pictures has always been a large part of my writing. I feel that the more information you can provide to support your arguments or someone else’s, the better your paper can be. Pictures, tables and any other visual aids, can help your reader(s) to better understand what they are reading. This reading was informative and helped me see what areas that I might need to keep a closer eye on when I write.

2 comments:

Ashley Howard said...

This is a very thoughtful post, Vicki. It is good that you recognize the importance of finding ways to engage the reader when you write. There is no point in writing something, if no one would ever want to read it!

Nice job with the reading!

kwilso said...

It seems that Vickie enjoyed the reading.She understands the importance of backing up the claims with accurate evidence.